In 1920, the rector of Berwick St John, the Revd. William Goodchild, painstakingly recorded in a small pocket-book the Monumental Inscriptions, both within the church itself and in the churchyard. He not only wrote down the text of the inscriptions but also drew sketches of the monuments and gravestones. After another ninety years of natural erosion and decay, some of these inscriptions, as with other others on similar gravestones in parishes and cemeteries across the country, are becoming increasingly difficult to read.
Images from the pages of Revd. Goodchild's pocket-book can be found below, together with an Index / Transcription. There are some mistakes in the Revd. Goodchild's transcription of the memorials - as indeed, there are quite possibly some in our transcription of the pocket-book itself! Researchers are advised to check the burial entries in the Berwick St John Parish Registers.
The pages of the pocket-book have been scanned - courtesy of Mrs F Dineley, of "Woodlands", Berwick St John - and a copy has been lodged at the Wiltshire & Swindon Archives.
“Charlotte, Wife of the Revd Richard Downes”
Memorial to the Grove Family
Memorial to Henry & Margaret Foot
Chest tomb of John Lane of Lower Bridmore Farm,
his wife Mansel (Moore) and their sons
William (32) & Thomas (28)
(photo – Diana Johnson)
Memorial to the Revd Peregrine Bingham
Daughters of John & Martha Lush
of Easton Farm
Clara Maria (12)
Sarah Kellaway (15)
Mary Arethusa Ellis (18)
Berwick St John
(photo – Les Dodd)
“In Memory of the Revd Richard Downes….
Also of Charlotte his Wife….”
The transcription of The Diaries of Charlotte Grove (later Downes) together with the content of this website are copyright © John Lane & Valerie Lane Kay
Berwick St John